I’ve recently been honored with the Liebster Award! Thank you, Bruna for nominating me! Bruna is the woman behind Maps and Bags, a blog where she shares photos, tips and stories from her nomadic life. Check it out!
What is the Liebster Award?
The Liebster Award is a way to recognize smaller blogs that have a strong voice and unique perspective. Liebster is the German word for sweetest, kindest, dearest, and the award captures the essence of those words. Since this is an award given by bloggers, to bloggers, it’s a constant chain of “paying it forward” where we recognize one another’s work as a community. Applauding people’s good work, in my opinion, is one of the sweetest, kindest and dearest things we can do for one another!
Read the full official rules for the Liebster Award here.
Our 21st Century Odyssey in a Nutshell:
My blog started in 2013 when Tim (my now-husband) and I were preparing for an 11-month round-the-world trip hitting all 7 continents (yes, even that one). We started the blog as a way to keep our friends and family involved in our travels. Over time, I began to rediscover my writing voice, which I had lost in 5 years of corporate life. As a child, I always wanted to grow up to be a writer. Now, through my blog and the opportunities I’ve earned from it, I am able to say that I am, indeed, a writer.
The blog now focuses on our 20-month worldwide honeymoon, and with my newfound time while traveling full-time, I’m trying to network and engage with other travel bloggers and writers. The Liebster Award has been a great way to do that!
10 random facts about me:
- I grew up in Richmond, Virginia in the United States
- My favorite fruit is watermelon. It always reminds me of summer cookouts with my family
- I speak French and studied abroad in Lyon, France when I was a university student
- My favorite movie is Home Alone
- My first trip out of the country was to the Bahamas when I was in the first grade. My grandmother won the trip in a radio contest, and she brought me, my mom, my dad and my aunt with her. This was also my first trip to a casino (we got kicked out)!
- My husband and I have been to close to 50 countries together. By the end of 2019 we’ll be at over 80!
- I LOVE crab legs
- I majored in Psychology and Comparative Literature
- My grandmother and I love watching I Love Lucy together
- I’m an unlikely marathon runner – I ran a 5k in 2013, a half marathon in 2015 & 2016, and ran my first full marathon in 2017
In her nomination, Bruna posed the following questions. Here are my answers!
- If the world would end tomorrow, where would you travel to today?
- This is probably an unlikely response, but I would head straight back to Virginia to visit my family!
- Would you rather win the lottery or have the perfect job?
- Lottery – my ideal would be to spend time investing in my hobbies and not worrying about money at all.
- To which countries would you give the following colors and why? (yellow, blue, red, green)
- What would you change in the world?
- Just one thing!? Cliche, but I’d end all wars
- If you could bring a fictional character to life, which one would that be and why?
- I kept coming back to this question because I couldn’t decide easily! But I think I would go with Alice in Wonderland, just because I love that story and would love to talk to her.
- What are you most proud of?
- Many things, but I have yet to feel again the simultaneous pride and humility I felt when I was accepted to the honors program of a prestigious American university
- Who would you change places with for a day?
- Whoever Leonardo DiCaprio is dating at the moment
- When I hear “caipirinha”, I think about Rio de Janeiro. When I hear “beer”, I think about Berlin. Where do you think about when you hear “coffee” and why?
- Colombia, because I’ve heard they have amazing coffee there!
- What is the craziest situation you have ever experienced in another culture?
- Maybe that time Tim and I stowed away in a bathroom on a train going from Austria to Italy…
- If you were an animal, which one would you rather be and why?
- A cat. Stretch, eat, sleep, repeat.
- What is your favorite book and why?
- Pillars of the Earth. It’s an epic tapestry novel that centers around medieval England and the building of a cathedral, but it’s really about love, war and politics spanning a century.
My nominees for the Liebster Award are:
Suzy from Suzy Stories – a young traveler with an epic bucket list and a background in philosophy that makes her posts extra thought-provoking!
Karen from Motoroaming – a couple exploring the world by camper. I especially love their deep dive into one of my favorite countries (they spent 2 years traveling around Spain)!
Alicia from Miles Less Traveled – a couple ready to travel anywhere in search of the best food in the world!
Tasha from Tasha’s Oyster – a teacher with a love for traveling and a big passion for ethical tourism!
Summer from Outside this Small Town – an army wife living abroad and sharing their life in Europe!
Now ladies it’s your turn! Here are my questions for you. I can’t wait to read your answers!
- If you could relive one trip you’ve been on, what would it be and why?
- What is the best meal you’ve had while traveling?
- What has been your biggest travel splurge, and was it worth it?
- If you could gift a trip of a lifetime to a loved one, who would it be, and where would you send them?
- What’s the number one activity you recommend to visitors in your hometown?
- Where are you heading on your next trip, and why did you choose that destination?
- What’s your favorite guilty pleasure TV show?
- What can you simply not travel without?
- Have you ever had to go to a doctor or hospital while abroad? Tell me about it.
- What’s your best packing tip?
- Tell me the story behind your most recent Instagram pic.
Looking forward to hearing back and seeing what blogs you nominate next!